Samples of the history of geomagnetic recordings in Fennoscandia
- Helsinki magnetic-meteorological observatory (1844-1911)
- IMS/Scandinavian Magnetometer Array (1976-1979)
EISCAT magnetometer cross (1982-1991)
- October 1982: EISCAT magnetometer cross started (5 stations: Pello, Muonio, Alta, Kautokeino, Sørøya). Sampling interval 20 s. PI institute: Technical University of Braunschweig, PI: Hermann Lühr.
- June 1983: Kilpisjärvi and Kevo to EISCAT.
- June 1990: "Startup meeting" for IMAGE (Niemegk).
- October 1990: Kautokeino removed.
- June 1990: Alta removed.
IMAGE magnetometer network (1991-)
- September 1991: 1st IMAGE meeting (Niemegk).
- October 1991: IMAGE magnetometer network started (6 stations: Pello, Muonio, Masi, Sørøya, Kilpisjärvi, Kevo).
- January 1992: Nurmijärvi to IMAGE. Number of stations 7.
- September 1992: 2nd IMAGE meeting (Braunschweig).
- October 1992: Hankasalmi to IMAGE. Number of stations 8.
- November 1992: Oulujärvi to IMAGE. Sampling interval to 10 s. Number of stations 9.
- September 1993: 3rd IMAGE meeting (Helsinki and Nurmijärvi).
- October 1993: Tromsø, Bear Island, Hopen, Hornsund, Longyearbyen and Ny Ålesund to IMAGE. Number of stations 15.
- October 1994: 4th IMAGE meeting (Niemegk).
- October 1995: 5th IMAGE meeting (Sodankylä).
- October 1995: FMI as the PI institute, PI: Ari Viljanen.
- January 1996: Andenes, Kiruna, Lovozero and Sodankylä to IMAGE . Number of stations 19.
- February 1997: Hankasalmi data also to SAMNET.
- April 1997: 6th IMAGE meeting (Warsaw and Belsk).
- December 1997: Kilpisjärvi data also to SAMNET.
- January 1998: Abisko and Uppsala joined IMAGE. Number of stations 21.
- July 1998: Lycksele joined IMAGE. Number of stations 22.
- October 1998: 7th IMAGE meeting (Tromsø).
- September 1999: Rørvik joined IMAGE. Number of stations 23.
- January 2000: Leknes and Dombås joined IMAGE. Number of stations 25.
- February 2000: 8th IMAGE meeting (Nurmijärvi and Helsinki).
- June 2000: New magnetometer installed at Pello (9.6. 2000).
- February 2001: Ivalo joined IMAGE. Number of stations 26.
- June 2001: New magnetometer installed at Muonio.
- September 2001: Tartu joined IMAGE. Number of stations 27.
- October 2001: Maintanance of Sørøya transfered to TGO.
- November 2001: 9th IMAGE meeting (Uppsala).
- January 2003: SAMNET stations Kvistaberg, Nurmijärvi and Oulu replaced by the nearby IMAGE stations (see SAMNET history).
- January 2004: Karmøy joined IMAGE. Number of stations 28.
- March 2004: 10th IMAGE team meeting (Levi), extended to the 1st MIRACLE team meeting.
- October 2004: Mekrijärvi joined IMAGE. Number of stations 29.
- October 2007: IMAGE 25th Anniversary, Potsdam & Niemegk, October 8-10, 2007
- December 2007: Solund joined IMAGE. Number of stations 30.
- January 2010: 12th IMAGE meeting (Bergen), new PI: Eija Tanskanen.
Updated: 10.2.2010 - ET